Tiong Bahru’s reputation as a hipster haven precedes it—but that doesn’t mean you can’t have the time of your life while you’re there. Boasting shops, cafes and exciting venues on every corner, this is one neighbourhood you can absolutely get lost in, as you drink in the sights and sounds of this charming estate.
Still, with so many options at your fingertips and only so many hours in a day, it can be hard to decide where and how to spend your time. For the uninitiated, here’s a handy guide to Tiong Bahru’s hidden lifestyle gems.
Nothing says “fun” like some good old-fashioned retail therapy, and thankfully, Tiong Bahru offers it in spades. Whether you’re sniffing out cheap threads or browsing the racks for the best deals, the many stores located all over the estate are sure to have you covered.
Nana & Bird
The fashion scene in Tiong Bahru straddles the fine line between effortlessly modern and retro chic, featuring brands ranging from multinational chains like iORA to indie boutiques. One store that manages to combine the best of both worlds is Nana & Bird, which specialises in independent labels (both local and international) and boasts an impressive collection of carefully curated garments and accessories. Ranging from classic and functional to whimsical and quirky, this is one stop you won’t want to miss.
- Address: 1M Yong Siak Street, Singapore 168641
- Opening hours: 12.00pm–7.00pm (weekdays), 10.00am–6.00pm (weekends and public holidays)
- Tel: 9117 0430
Find yourself in the lap of luxury at
- Address: 25 Yong Siak Street, Singapore 168653
- Opening hours: 9.30am–5.00pm (Sunday–Friday), 9.30am–6.00pm (Saturday)
- Tel: 8506 3665
Beauty and Wellness
The peace and quiet of this sleepy neighbourhood
They say never to judge a book by its cover—a tenet that Nimble/Knead surely proves. With walls built from old shipping containers and chairs made of wooden crates, it looks more like an industrial port than a state-of-the-art spa. But after just one hour-long massage, any doubts you have are sure to be dispelled (along with any of your knots).
- Address: 66 Eng Watt Street, #01-28 Tiong Bahru Estate, Singapore 160066
- Opening hours: 11.00am–10.00pm daily
- Tel: 6438 3933
No outing is complete without a good bout of pampering, and at the Neat Salon and Bar, that’s exactly what you’ll get. No more staring into the mirror for hours on end—here, you can sit back and relax with a well-prepared cocktail while a dedicated team of stylists and therapists takes care of the rest. Call it quirky, or an outlandish concept, but the one thing Neat Salon and Bar definitely isn’t is ordinary.
- Address: 78 Yong Siak Street, #01-14 Tiong Bahru Estate, Singapore 163078
- Opening hours: 11.30am–8.30pm (Tuesday–Friday), 10.00am–7.00pm (weekends and public holidays). Closed on Mondays
- Tel: 6635 7739 or 6221 0150
Sitting at the foot of the old Yong Siak Court is boutique yoga school Yoga Movement, whose wooden panelling presents a stark contrast to the faded tiles that surround it. Indeed, this modern, minimalist studio fits right in with the rest of Tiong Bahru’s trendy popups, and with its calming monochrome colour scheme, you won’t find a better place to unwind.
- Address: 11 Yong Siak Street, Singapore 168646
- Opening hours: See schedule
- Tel: 8223 3540
But for a more old-school approach, check out its neighbour Yoga Inc down the street. Inspired by age-old Chinese décor and pop culture, the studio blends traditional touches like metal shutters and black headboards with a clean, modern interior. Here, you can declutter your mind in peace and quiet—a truly satisfying experience among the hustle and bustle of Tiong Bahru estate.
- Address: 21 Yong Siak Street, Singapore 168651
- Opening hours: See schedule
- Tel: 9092 3922
With its rich history and melting pot of customs and traditions, there is perhaps no better place in Singapore to soak up some culture than Tiong Bahru. Luckily, the area offers a host of options for you to gain some knowledge—and have a little fun in the process.
One such place is Degiosart, a gallery that hosts a vast collection of refined objects, sculptures and works of art from Europe and Asia. Marvel at the exquisite heritage of its vintage pieces, and admire the impeccable technique used in its contemporary creations. With its diverse collection of artworks both past and present, you’ll find yourself positively enthralled at every turn.
- Address: Block 57, #01-82 Eng Hoon Street, Singapore 160057
- Opening hours: 10.00am–7.00pm daily
- Tel: 9698 6038
On the other hand, the Grey Projects multi-concept art space located on Kim Tian Road is sure to have something for everyone, including exhibitions, workshops and a slew of exciting events. Its many amenities include an in-house library and studio, and its extensive galleries all but guarantee that you’ll never be bored.
- Address: 6B Kim Tian Road, Kai Fook Mansion, Singapore 169246
- Opening hours: 1.00pm–7.00pm (Wednesday–Friday), 1.00pm–6.00pm (Saturday). Closed Sunday–Tuesday
- Tel: 6655 6492
Tiong Bahru is home to an eclectic mix of clubs, bars and pubs, all of which contribute to the vibrant nightlife for which the neighbourhood is well-known. Enjoy an unforgettable night out on the town at one of the estate’s many establishments, and you might just find yourself partying until the sun rises.
Coq and Balls
One stop you definitely can’t miss is the playfully named Coq and Balls, which has long established itself as a staple (and neighbourhood favourite) of Tiong Bahru’s bar scene. With its warm, inviting décor and impressive range of alcoholic beverages, it’s easy to see why this joint remains popular among both locals and visitors alike.
- Address: 6 Kim Tian Road, Kai Fook Mansion, Singapore 169246
- Opening hours: 5.00pm–1.00am (Monday–Thursday), 4.30pm–1.00am (Friday), 3.00pm–1.00am (Saturday–Sunday)
- Tel: 6276 6609
Lin 林 Rooftop Bar
For a change of pace and a more relaxing atmosphere, look no further than the Lin 林 Rooftop Bar. Its name means “forest” in Chinese, a theme that informs its unique décor. Take a sip from a variety of beers, wines, whiskey and spirits as you enjoy the breathtaking view of nighttime Tiong Bahru.
- Address: Link Hotel (Rooftop), 50 Tiong Bahru Road, Singapore 168733
- Opening hours: 5.00pm–1.00am (Monday–Saturday). Closed on Sundays
- Tel: 9487 4290
Written by: Soh Ying Qi